Wednesday, January 14, 2009

NEW YEAR RECEPTION IN PAUL MAHDER GALLERY



"Basic" New Paintings by Elena Zolotnitsky
Opening Reception Thursday January 15, 2009 6 - 9pm
Exhibit on display through February, 22, 2009

Paintings of Otto will be in exhibition at Paul Mahder gallery.
Otto Aguilar is a Nicaraguan painter whose art subtly expresses the turbulence of growing up in a place with earthquakes, poverty, civil wars and personal losses. Aguilar was a teacher and director of the Fine Arts School in Managua, Nicaragua, and he has received the Fellowship for Artistic Achievement from the Surikob Institute in Moscow. Since 1993 Otto Aguilar has resided in the United States and has had several individual and collective exhibitions in California, Mexico and Nicaragua.


The nicaraguan poet and essayist Alvaro Urtecho has said this about Aguilar: " Aguilar, an artist who is at the same time tough, risky and invariably experimental, requires from his audience an active look, without prejudice..."


Statement: Both content and form alike are given importance in my art. This is why the different series I have painted are loaded with biographical aspects, particularly those which have affected me in some painful manner; marking a constant search, leading me to experiment with new materials as well as new forms of expression. With this constant search I have needed to photograph my paintings, leading me to discover digital photography where I have been able to combine my paintings with new digital elements. In my most recent digital work entitled “Planchas de la Inquisicíon,” or “Irons of the Inquisition,” is where I have expressed my displeasure and I denounce the cruelty and hypocrisy of the religious institutions; who during the time of the inquisition, tortured and killed just as so many political powers do, all those who thought differently than they. In this series, I try to make a parody and satirize that androgynous being that is the pope, who appoints himself as the representative of GOD on earth.
More paintigs of Otto Aguilar http://ottoaguilart.blogspot.com/

No comments: